Tell us your idea!

Entire personal music collection should be available on Windows Phone 8 without requiring a Music Pass

In an effort to attract people to your ecosystem, you need to offer things which are exclusive to that ecosystem. Why not allow Windows Phone 8 users full access to their entire music collection (as per the new Xbox Music website) without first requiring them to own a Music Pass. IOS and Android users could still be forced to pay for a Music Pass to do this, but for once Windows Phone users will benefit from a cohesive ecosystem. It makes no sense to prevent this on Windows Phones and Xbox 360, yet provide the service as a website.

3,338 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    BalintBalint shared a merged idea: Why can't i listen to free xbox music on my windows phone?  ·   · 

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen PateStephen Pate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

# 1 reason to hate Windows 8 - Xbox Music and $99 top hear my own music. ITunes puts my whole collection in the Cloud for $24.99 and does a great job of streaming it to all my devices. Xbox Music is a well known drag, to quote George Harrison.

• ColinColin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

shoud be a way to add music to my xbox wirelessly from my pc where my music resides (mainly in itunes at the moment).

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same thing with the xbox One. I uploaded all my music to the one drive and it plays great on my pc with the music app. When I use the music app on the Xbox One it says I need a pass? Why do I need a pass to play my own music that the pc was just playing?! Very frustrating.

• M SheetsM Sheets commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently very frustrated here. All of the music that I have put in my OneDrive Music folder shows up no problem on my computer and syncs absolutely beautifully to my tablet (love it!), but on my phone it says that I don't have the rights to play the songs and won't let me download them locally. Very frustrating.

• ForrestForrest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly agree with this. It is a little frustrating that in order to listen to music on my Xbox One that I have already bought, I must pay more money to for a "Music Pass" just to listen to it.

• Danny CamiloDanny Camilo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the reason why I use Google Play Music, CloudMuzik on WindowsPhone, and OutcoldPlayer on Windows 8.1. It's a must have feature. Google Music provides this with no ads, so you need to match that feature 100% or better as the underdog.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. I am incredibly sick and tired of seeing time after time notifications from WPCentral, Winsupersite, and WMPoweruser that such and such an app or service is coming to iOS or Android either first, or with more features than on Windows Phone. For once, please, give Windows Phone users a better experience with your service!

• Jim McintoshJim Mcintosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make this useless app functional. IT can see my entire collection on OneDrive, but when I try to stream one it tells me I'm not authorized to play the track.

• Travis STravis S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. I think first and foremost, Microsoft's NEW GOAL should be adopting an ecosystem quite like Android. We want to watch our movies, our music, our videos, our STUFF, OUR WAY! We won't want to use your app or program if you won't let us use our own lengthy repertoire for free.

Need easier access to said libraries as well. I find quite too often the Xbox Music app is returning me with errors like how it cannot make a library out of a library or it cannot access a drive due to indexing issues. I just want to play my music man. You're not making that easy, you're making it a hassle. Hassles caused by you do one thing to your customers, and you know what that is. Now I may be a diehard supporter here but I'd like to see everyone else take a new shining and liking to Microsoft as I come to have recently. I'd hate to see the company make nothing of itself in all of these recent shifts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would second that. With Android, if you already own the music, it is always available to stream on your devices regardless if you have a subscription. I already bought the music, I own a copy, I should be able to access anytime. This is especially important because most of the windows phones do not have a MicroSD card slot which is an extreme oversight, space is very limited. Ideally MicroSD slots should be standard, and streaming should be always available for music and videos I do actually own. I shouldn't need a pass, I already bought it. The pass should also have some of the features of the former Zune pass. Yes I had a Zune. Subscribe, we should be able to stream anything, keep 10 per month permanently. And any owned songs should always be available on all Windows devices (computer, tablet, phone and Xbox) Since they all are using a common core, it doesn't make since to fragment their services, allowing some and not others. If you want the best performing service that is the most useful, let people access what they DO ALREADY OWN, EVERYWHERE. Simple.

• BenjaminBenjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this will be the end of my devotion to the WP platform. Why should anyone be forced to pay for their own music collection especially for an app whose performance is dismal at best? I used to love my phone now I curse it every day for the lag, freezing and general poor performance. I realize this is the dev preview but it's scary how bad this is - the entire OS, not just XBM - especially if this is shipping on new phones.

P.S. I'm buying a PS4 and not the XB1 mainly because I have to pay a fascist subscription fee to use Netflix, Hulu, etc. WTF?!

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at least you can make it free for 8 hrs/month, just like listening on Windows 8 was once. Whilst It may not bring many users to the platform, it would surely make the current Windows Phone users happy.

• PoohGQPoohGQ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope they'll fix that library issue. I have my entire desktop library appearing on my phone but now I can't find the albums/music that is actually on my phone and I can't stream or download any of the albums on my desktop library because I have no subscription to Xbox Music.

Personally I feel MS still needs to streamline there subscriptions before I can subscribe to any more of the different Microsoft platforms I use.

Yes. I should be able to add my music to my devices (PC, Phone (WP, android), and play the tunes.

• erictrinherictrinh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Microsoft should let phone users decide when to sync or load songs from the cloud instead of automatically checking like now.

They are adding the music locker soon, no eta but it is already in the code for One Drive

• CharlieCharlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is true. Want to beat the fruit and the rusted Green tin man? Offer something they don't and would never offer!!

I don't know why I have to pay to acces to MY music stored on MY PC!!!! I've already paid for the phone, paid for the music and paid for the PC! Why the **** should I have to pay to listen my music? It's like the cable company charging me everytime I turn the TV on! Dumb!

If you implement this people will turn their heads to Windows PhoneS, the only ones that let you listen to your music for free. Let the robots and the fruits pay... none of us cares anyway, we use WP!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base