Tell us your idea!

Entire personal music collection should be available on Windows Phone 8 without requiring a Music Pass

In an effort to attract people to your ecosystem, you need to offer things which are exclusive to that ecosystem. Why not allow Windows Phone 8 users full access to their entire music collection (as per the new Xbox Music website) without first requiring them to own a Music Pass. IOS and Android users could still be forced to pay for a Music Pass to do this, but for once Windows Phone users will benefit from a cohesive ecosystem. It makes no sense to prevent this on Windows Phones and Xbox 360, yet provide the service as a website.

2,951 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    BalintBalint shared a merged idea: Why can't i listen to free xbox music on my windows phone?  ·   · 

40 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jim McintoshJim Mcintosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make this useless app functional. IT can see my entire collection on OneDrive, but when I try to stream one it tells me I'm not authorized to play the track.

• Travis STravis S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. I think first and foremost, Microsoft's NEW GOAL should be adopting an ecosystem quite like Android. We want to watch our movies, our music, our videos, our STUFF, OUR WAY! We won't want to use your app or program if you won't let us use our own lengthy repertoire for free.

Need easier access to said libraries as well. I find quite too often the Xbox Music app is returning me with errors like how it cannot make a library out of a library or it cannot access a drive due to indexing issues. I just want to play my music man. You're not making that easy, you're making it a hassle. Hassles caused by you do one thing to your customers, and you know what that is. Now I may be a diehard supporter here but I'd like to see everyone else take a new shining and liking to Microsoft as I come to have recently. I'd hate to see the company make nothing of itself in all of these recent shifts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would second that. With Android, if you already own the music, it is always available to stream on your devices regardless if you have a subscription. I already bought the music, I own a copy, I should be able to access anytime. This is especially important because most of the windows phones do not have a MicroSD card slot which is an extreme oversight, space is very limited. Ideally MicroSD slots should be standard, and streaming should be always available for music and videos I do actually own. I shouldn't need a pass, I already bought it. The pass should also have some of the features of the former Zune pass. Yes I had a Zune. Subscribe, we should be able to stream anything, keep 10 per month permanently. And any owned songs should always be available on all Windows devices (computer, tablet, phone and Xbox) Since they all are using a common core, it doesn't make since to fragment their services, allowing some and not others. If you want the best performing service that is the most useful, let people access what they DO ALREADY OWN, EVERYWHERE. Simple.

• BenjaminBenjamin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this will be the end of my devotion to the WP platform. Why should anyone be forced to pay for their own music collection especially for an app whose performance is dismal at best? I used to love my phone now I curse it every day for the lag, freezing and general poor performance. I realize this is the dev preview but it's scary how bad this is - the entire OS, not just XBM - especially if this is shipping on new phones.

P.S. I'm buying a PS4 and not the XB1 mainly because I have to pay a fascist subscription fee to use Netflix, Hulu, etc. WTF?!

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at least you can make it free for 8 hrs/month, just like listening on Windows 8 was once. Whilst It may not bring many users to the platform, it would surely make the current Windows Phone users happy.

• PoohGQPoohGQ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really hope they'll fix that library issue. I have my entire desktop library appearing on my phone but now I can't find the albums/music that is actually on my phone and I can't stream or download any of the albums on my desktop library because I have no subscription to Xbox Music.

Personally I feel MS still needs to streamline there subscriptions before I can subscribe to any more of the different Microsoft platforms I use.

Yes. I should be able to add my music to my devices (PC, Phone (WP, android), and play the tunes.

• erictrinherictrinh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Microsoft should let phone users decide when to sync or load songs from the cloud instead of automatically checking like now.

They are adding the music locker soon, no eta but it is already in the code for One Drive

• CharlieCharlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes this is true. Want to beat the fruit and the rusted Green tin man? Offer something they don't and would never offer!!

I don't know why I have to pay to acces to MY music stored on MY PC!!!! I've already paid for the phone, paid for the music and paid for the PC! Why the **** should I have to pay to listen my music? It's like the cable company charging me everytime I turn the TV on! Dumb!

If you implement this people will turn their heads to Windows PhoneS, the only ones that let you listen to your music for free. Let the robots and the fruits pay... none of us cares anyway, we use WP!

• ArckinsArckins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This make sense, it gives the nice incentive for users who use the Microsoft platform. We would understand if Android and iOS requires Music Pass for entire music collection access. Being so neutral sometimes feels like Windows and Windows Phone are just another OS from Xbox services, not a integral part of it.

• JörnJörn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox Music should also upload and sync music that is not matched by the service. I have a hard time syncing my playlists as I'm constantly adding a lot of unknown remixes.

• MalcolmMalcolm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just look at how Google does it: Upload 20,000 (yes, twenty thousand) songs from your PERSONAL music library and listen to them ANYWHERE in the world for free. No matching songs with Xbox Music (which completely sucks). No being tied to any service like Google Play Music. Nothing. They simply allow you to upload 20,000 songs that you personally own and listen to them anywhere you want. This is what Microsoft needs to do. They need to implement this and market this immediately. I would even be willing to pay for the ability to add my personal music collection to OneDrive and have access to my own songs through the Xbox Music app. Anything to compete with Google on this awesome feature they provide for free would be great. Please step it up MS

• Stephen AndersonStephen Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love my Music Pass subscription, and use it every day across different platforms, but it would be so much better if I could add the tracks I own that aren't in the Music Pass music catalogue. I have a 1,000 song chillout playlist that I love and spent many months collating, however only about 60% of the songs are available in the Xbox Music Pass catalogue. It then becomes a major frustration to just listen to the playlist that was so easy to listen to on my Windows Phone 7 handset.

Also the Modern UI Windows Phone syncing application is dreadful. There is no way to tell it to move a large number of songs onto the device. If I have a playlist with 100 songs for example, I have to move the songs onto the handset through the syncing software 10 tracks at a time. That is very frustrating and a terrible user experience, If I select more than some threshold number of songs, the software just sits their thinking, and nothing gets transferred. It would be so much better if I could simply move the playlist to my OneDrive and have all my devices, including my Xbox One, simply sync with it.

Also we need an easier way to interact with our cloud music collection. Removing unwanted songs from my cloud collection on my Windows 8 PC does not actually remove it from the cloud. The only way to do that is via the website music.xbox.com, and that is a huge exercise in frustration because you cannot delete multiple songs at a time. Each song has to be removed individually. I had 3,500 songs in my cloud collection that I wanted to remove. I ended up buying some third party software that enabled me to record mouse movements and mouse clicks so I could automate the task of removing so many songs one at a time.

• JeffHJeffH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least ALL my music should be available *with* a music pass. Without would be fantastic. but it's sad that WITH a pass it doesn't. AFAIK apple and google both do.

• Bodhi LeeBodhi Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely a must. I can scrape Onedrive for music on pc and tab, I want this capability on my phone. Why is it so difficult? Skymusic can do this, but I want the ability in a core app and unified. This should've been a feature since day one, not four yrs. later like the rest that haven't happened. Also, we need the ability to unmatch the horrible mismatches for metadata and use our own. Please do a better job and more people will recommend your products and services like i'd like to be able to do.

• M SheetsM Sheets commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would add that this should include music that we have uploaded (music that we own), but it should not need to include access to music added solely from the Xbox Music database (music that we don't own). That might go without saying, but that would be the expected (and hoped for! :) behavior for me. The service I would be paying for *wouldn't* be syncing music to my phone that I own (which I feel should happen without saying in a truly smooth environment and needs to happen *mostly* automatically for those who are less technically savvy): it would be paying to have full access to the Xbox Music database on any device. I'd love free hours on my phone of that full access, but I can potentially understand locking it to PCs only (though that probably substantially decreases user engagement, something I'm positive you've given great thought to as you've evaluated what will generate the most usage and revenue--*not* necessarily the same fhing, though I *generally* feel that if it's good for the customer, it will be good for you in the long-run. What's good for the customer here? That's a debatable question.)

If xbox music wants to succeed then it has to at least provide the functions of its competitors. I can stream up to 20,000 of my own tracks with google's play music. I will never ever buy into a music subscription as most music on the store is awful and never has the kind of bands I listen to.
        Currently using CloudMuzik app to stream my uploaded tracks on play music but would rather use microsoft's app but this is the deal breaker.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base