Tell us your idea!

Improve performance on Windows Phone 8 app

When I unlock the device, it keep saying resuming for 5 to 10 secondes before actually loading the app. And when I select a song, sometimes I have to wait 5 secondes before I can actually see the now playing page. It's really weird since in Windows phone 7, it didn't do that !

2,822 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kassem MezherKassem Mezher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Matt TuggleMatt Tuggle shared a merged idea: Have it work on Windows Phone!  ·   · 
    danieldaniel shared a merged idea: music wont play  ·   · 
    WadeWade shared a merged idea: Really?  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Ellen KilbourneAdminEllen Kilbourne (Admin, Xbox Music) responded  · 

We have been working to improve the Music app on Windows Phone 8.1 – the latest version is 2.6.186.0. If you’re seeing issues as you upgrade to 8.1, please feel free to post a description of the scenarios that aren’t quite right in that app as suggestions on this site. We would like to track how many people are affected by specific issues using this site’s Vote feature.

Thank you all for your support and feedback!

88 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Music added to my online collection with internet explorer, xbox 360 or Win 8.1 music app for PC does not sync to my Win Phone 8.1 music app. Two days have passed and additions to a playlist still have not shown up on my phone. This is extremely frustrating.

At times the phone music app will not give me the option to add an artist to my collection, only the option to buy it. But the same music can be added to my collection when using any other device. But since new music and playlists are not showing up on the phone all the time it is useless.

For a world leader in software development Microsoft has sure laid an egg with this music app.

The app is better, but still takes long to resume from the home screen, or once the screen times out. Still some stability issues... receive a message on the Radio screen indicating the feature is only available to signed in users of Xbox music pass... I own an Xbox music pass and by default am always signed in with my Microsoft account. I'm not due for a new phone until the fall, so you have until then to fix this mess.

Wow, you people really seem to have run out of ideas on how to fix this mess...you shouldnt have to ask for 'scenarios that aren't quite right' when the app has not yet come close to the performance level of the now 4-year-old wp7 app or the even older zune sw!! This is just sad

P.S. I am about to get a new phone in the coming weeks . Normally I would get a windows phone without a second thought, but after the music app ordeal of the past few months, I just can't get myself to spend money on a windows phone. Getting stuck on the 'resuming' screen on a new phone would make me feel really stupid...

When using the Win 8.1 Music App for PC to add a new artist to my online collection, there is still a frustrating lag in the time it takes for that newly added artist to show up in my collection when using the windows phone 8. I am using a high speed internet connection for all devices.

After adding the artist to my online collection (and to a new playlist) with my Win 8.1 PC music app, I checked the xbox music website with internet explorer and saw that the artist (and playlist) showed up there right away. The same was true with my Xbox 360.

After 30 minutes and opening/closing the music app with my Win Phone 8.1 many times, the artist still has not been reflected in my online collection. However I do see it in the Playlist that I created immediately after adding it to my collection.

This is very frustrating because I would like to be able to use my PC to create a last minute playlist before heading out the door on a run or something, and have it available on my phone. Why is the phone's refreshing code so terrible compared to the other devices?

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The update didn't initially correlate to positive results on my HTC 8x. But for some reason today the app is functioning much better. The artists are showing up right away, where as before it took several minutes. And some wouldn't even show up at all until a reset.

I'm still getting the black start up screen when launching the app though. I have to back out of the app at least once but sometimes more before the screen will be anything but black.

I have not yet checked how long it now takes for changes to my online collection to be reflected on all my devices. Historically it will take multiple hours for new songs/playlists to show up on my phone after adding them with my xbox, or PC. I'll report back on that later.

• LocoKipLocoKip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just updated the app to 2.6.186.0. Amazing improvement to the usability of the app. The loading of albums and artists which used to take between 20-30 seconds to load is now almost instantaneous. Whatever you did it worked! Thanks!

I'm using 2.6.186.0. It's gotten a whole lot better and a lot more usable. Please keep improving this. While it doesn't hang and show the blank screens anymore it still takes about 4-5 seconds to move between screens. So switching artists, albums etc is still frustrating. The old native app was heaps faster and smoother.

The performance of the new update (2.6.1860) is OUTSTANDING.
        Thanks for taking this issue and tracking it down.
        This app is very usable now.
        :-)

• ajaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still can't properly save playlists. As simple as that and this app can't even do that!! Shame on you MS.

• RajRaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I can say is performance of this sucks. Still needs a 4-5 seconds to load/resume. Wont
        show correct tags. Come on Microsoft get it together already. Shouldn't take this long to get basic functions working correctly and efficiently .

Another issue still unresolved, incorrect music volume fades. When a song first starts out, or has a pause in it, the volume will fade up when it begins playing. This is I believe something being forced by the API but not the music app, but I'm not sure. Regardless it takes away from the listening experience! When a song comes in with a strong downbeat, the volume fading I've described kills the impact that is experienced when listening with literally any other device. I can't believe nobody has noticed this and taken action. Do you guys actually use the music app?

Still no gapless playback. Very very disappointing. This has been a user request since the beginning of this horrid app and yet it is still lacking. I'm very curious why that is. Clearly it's code technology that's been around since the beginning of portable music devices and yet the Microsoft code monkeys still can't figure out how to get it to work. That's just sad.

Music app is still unbearably slow. I now have to carry another music player with me. The app features are mostly there but the problem is that they don't work! It's embarrassing when I have people with me in my car and I want to play them a new song, or playlist that I put together and they have to just wait there for 5 minutes before I can even get the dang app to display my music collection! I use my phone (correction, I USED to use my phone) more for music than for any other thing. I'm going back to android when my contract is up because without a functioning music app on my HTC 8x (updated to Win 8.1) there's no point to continue using this device.

After the update the music app still performs extremely poorly overall. When opening the app I usually see only a black screen. After 10 seconds or so I'll back out, reopen the app and then I'll get the green splash screen. But it then takes it 10 seconds to open the home screen. When I go to the artists area (or any area for that matter) it is always blank for a very very long time, several minutes at times before even a few artists will show up. I have roughly 700 artists in my online collection and no music files stored on the phone. I am always on a high speed wireless network. If I navigate away from the artists area then go back to it, the entire process starts over.

Additionally, when adding/removing a song to a playlist or to my collection from the phone, it takes hours before that change is updated on my other devices (xbox, PC etc). The same is true if I add/remove a song from my collection with my xbox, or from the win 8 PC app, it takes hours before the change is registered on the phone. However changes made on the xbox will be reflected on the web player in a very fast manor. Go figure.

My most sincere recommendation for your Ellen Kilbourne would be that every person within Microsoft be required to use only the xbox music app for their personal music device, all day and every day. Only then will your team become familiar with the bugs that so many of us have been bringing to microsoft's attention since day one. I can't believe that it takes a microsoft design team this long to fix known problems with their software. So I can only conclude that these very people don't even use the app themselves, and therefor don't even know about the problems. I've been using the music app since the day my HTC 8x was released and have posted many times in the answers.microsoft website for support and guidance. It appears to me that nobody at Microsoft even cares about the music player. In today's day and age people use their smart phones as their primary music device because they don't want to carry a separate player. It is very naïve to think that people who listen to music a lot will actually stay in the windows environment because it clearly doesn't work. Being an engineer myself, I can give a design team some time to work out kinks but this has become less than an amateur display. Interns could do a better job, and probably should be the ones working on this project anyway because it seems as though the current team is out of touch with what the modern phone user's needs are.

After owning a microsoft Kin phone that had a Zune built into it I was in love with that music player. So much so that I became a music pass subscriber and have been for 5+ years. And it gave me confidence to buy a win phone 8 purely for the music player. I knew the phone would be inferior to other smart phones in other areas but the Zune I was expecting made up for it.

No offence Ellen but MS should be embarrassed that this app has been fully rolled out for all this time and it still is not even up to par with the cheapest mp3 players from Walmart. It is basically useless because the app is so terribly slow.

• thomaaaasthomaaaas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sorry but the app became completely unusable. it sometimes gets stuck on the green splash screen, and if im coming further the artist, album and song lists are completely empty, not even the quick jump letters (in the green squares) appear, sometimes theres the loading text in the top left corner, but nothing appears even after several minutes. i can swipe and change the cathegory though.

i have about 18gb of music on my sd card, running wp8.1, just give us an option to use the old music hub please.

and if you havent done it yet, please increase the amount of songs in a random/shuffle playlist, it repeats after one hour.

• ArthurArthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After the last update from August 9th, the app feels much faster on my NL920, especially to load the artists list.
        It still takes some time to load the albums once you've clicked on an artist name, and still takes some time to load the songs once you've clicked on an album name.
        Also, scrolling through the songs of the current playlist isn't smooth (from the list button next to the album art in the 'now playing' section)
        Keep up the good work!

8.1 with Update 1, 11GB+ of music on Lumia 920; album list is now useable and fast; first impressions = WOW

• Andrew MacaulayAndrew Macaulay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got the latest version and it is so much better in terms of speed - Lumia 920 with around 8Gb of music locally sync'd (heavily compressed to fit) and now takes between 2 and 3 seconds to load app, and 3 seconds to load all artists (including cloud collection) or less for local only. Finally much more usable in terms of speed (my other comments on functionality still stand, but hopefully once the basics are fixed, then we can start to see these coming through as well). Shuffle of whole collection works for me, but nothing as big as collection below - although still fairly large with around 150 artists, 310 albums and 3575 songs. Keep up this level of improvement with the app and it will could become great!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base