Tell us your idea!

Improve performance on Windows Phone 8 app

When I unlock the device, it keep saying resuming for 5 to 10 secondes before actually loading the app. And when I select a song, sometimes I have to wait 5 secondes before I can actually see the now playing page. It's really weird since in Windows phone 7, it didn't do that !

2,871 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kassem MezherKassem Mezher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Matt TuggleMatt Tuggle shared a merged idea: Have it work on Windows Phone!  ·   · 
    danieldaniel shared a merged idea: music wont play  ·   · 
    WadeWade shared a merged idea: Really?  ·   · 
    under review  ·  Ellen KilbourneAdminEllen Kilbourne (Admin, Xbox Music) responded  · 

We have been working to improve the Music app on Windows Phone 8.1 – the latest version is 2.6.186.0. If you’re seeing issues as you upgrade to 8.1, please feel free to post a description of the scenarios that aren’t quite right in that app as suggestions on this site. We would like to track how many people are affected by specific issues using this site’s Vote feature.

Thank you all for your support and feedback!

96 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew MacaulayAndrew Macaulay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So the performance does seem better, but I simply can't get the Xbox Music player on the phone to display the song titles correctly. The files all have the relevant metadata (at least I think it is all they need - including album, artist, album artist, title, track # - but the player shows the filename, complete with file extension! Copied the files off to PC to batch update them all, and now have this information in all files - but still showing filenames instead of track names!

Does the media database refresh automatically or is there a way to get it to rebuild the information correctly?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most recent update now prevents me from playing any song, as selecting songs closes the apps and dumps me back to the app list screen.

Don't yet have 8.1's Update 1 so might this be the issue? Strangely, if I select songs through the File app they then play fine in Xbox music- its just playing through the app that fails.

Another update... another disappointment :( Here's an idea... bring back the Music hub that was integrated with the OS. It's still there, using a registry hack or an app a developer made to get to it. Scrolls great, no waiting, no loading, no resuming, still connects to store. I can multitask back to this version of the music hub almost instantly where I am waiting up to 10 seconds for the Music app to resume. Developers, listen up: Take 2 identical phones. Measure app performance in the Music hub. Then measure app performance in the Music app. If the app isn't better or at least on par with the hub, then bring back the hub. App centric OS is terrible.. bring me back integrated features like MS was known for.

• ArthurArthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(NL920) After the last update from August 28th, the app still takes some time to load the albums once you've clicked on an artist name, and still takes time to load the songs once you've clicked on an album name.
        Also, scrolling through the songs of the current playlist isn't smooth (from the list button next to the album art in the 'now playing' section)

I also have many issues with the album arts that do not always show up in the now playing section.

Resume still takes a lot of time...

WP was launched with the proclamation that the 'beta testing is over' - yet we seem to be stuck in a never ending 'beta testing' mode with you guys. This could have been acceptable if we were dealing with a start up company, but you are supposed to be a software giant...

With the app being laggy as always, since the last update, you also started adding features for people able to update to the latest preview version of the OS and are seemingly unconcerned by the **** user experience left for the rest of us.

To be fair with you guys, this is not just an xbox music team issue, but a windows phone strategy issue. I went through all the stages from frustrated to amused with the incompetence demonstrated here, and now I have just given up... I cancelled my xbox music subscription and I am giving up on Windows Phone until your 'beta testing' period is over.

• Christian DamsChristian Dams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the latest version on WP8.1 Update 1 (Dev Preview), with Cyan Firmware, on a Lumia 1020. I have a local library of around 2000 mp3 files on my phone, and have still many issues:

- Scrolling performance has gotten better, but is still far away from good. When fast scrolling through my song list, the Screen turns black after ~7 scroll movements, and a i have to wait for the phone to catch up.

- All Tasks that involve a larger number of songs (i.e. selecting a genre with 1500 Songs in it and try to shuffle play from that) makes XBox Music really laggy, even unresponsive, for some time.

- Search functionality leaves a lot to be desired. Example: searching for "Kings Singers" turns up no results, you have to use the spelling "King's Singers". All other music services i know an tried seem to have no problem with that task.

- Resume is often laggy and slow.

The sad thing is, that most of these problems are new to XBox Music. WP7 and Zune didn't have those Problems, and WP8s music hub did not, either (although, to be fair, even that was already worse than WP7. It's dangerous to sacrifice old (and good) functionality when implementing new one, because you alienate your customers.

This app still stutters magnificently when resuming from other prompts. Try opening up music from a tagged song in Cortana, it won't even work on my 920, it just freezes.

It's sad to say, but all of the work that's been going into Xbox Music over the years hasn't even brought it back up to specification with Zune. That's years of lost opportunity to iterate on a good product and bring features to the ecosystem.

Using the latest dev build/update and this is the slowest, most painful app on my 920. I'm nearly ready to ditch this phone (at least the music app and cancel my xbox music pass) - and this is my first smartphone! I purposely waited and delayed (years) because I wanted a Windows phone. I like my my Microsoft products (xbox, zune). But this is unbearable. The lag, the unresponsiveness. I don't know what you're doing behind the scenes in the app but it seems like you're re-cataloging every.single.time. Can't you cache my content and check in the background for any changes/updates? It's ridiculous how slow this is. I'd love to stay with my Windows phone please. I don't want to jump ship. I my opinion and I'm sure many share the same - Zune was THE best. Best interface, best features - just port it to windows phone

Music added to my online collection with internet explorer, xbox 360 or Win 8.1 music app for PC does not sync to my Win Phone 8.1 music app. Two days have passed and additions to a playlist still have not shown up on my phone. This is extremely frustrating.

At times the phone music app will not give me the option to add an artist to my collection, only the option to buy it. But the same music can be added to my collection when using any other device. But since new music and playlists are not showing up on the phone all the time it is useless.

For a world leader in software development Microsoft has sure laid an egg with this music app.

The app is better, but still takes long to resume from the home screen, or once the screen times out. Still some stability issues... receive a message on the Radio screen indicating the feature is only available to signed in users of Xbox music pass... I own an Xbox music pass and by default am always signed in with my Microsoft account. I'm not due for a new phone until the fall, so you have until then to fix this mess.

Wow, you people really seem to have run out of ideas on how to fix this mess...you shouldnt have to ask for 'scenarios that aren't quite right' when the app has not yet come close to the performance level of the now 4-year-old wp7 app or the even older zune sw!! This is just sad

P.S. I am about to get a new phone in the coming weeks . Normally I would get a windows phone without a second thought, but after the music app ordeal of the past few months, I just can't get myself to spend money on a windows phone. Getting stuck on the 'resuming' screen on a new phone would make me feel really stupid...

When using the Win 8.1 Music App for PC to add a new artist to my online collection, there is still a frustrating lag in the time it takes for that newly added artist to show up in my collection when using the windows phone 8. I am using a high speed internet connection for all devices.

After adding the artist to my online collection (and to a new playlist) with my Win 8.1 PC music app, I checked the xbox music website with internet explorer and saw that the artist (and playlist) showed up there right away. The same was true with my Xbox 360.

After 30 minutes and opening/closing the music app with my Win Phone 8.1 many times, the artist still has not been reflected in my online collection. However I do see it in the Playlist that I created immediately after adding it to my collection.

This is very frustrating because I would like to be able to use my PC to create a last minute playlist before heading out the door on a run or something, and have it available on my phone. Why is the phone's refreshing code so terrible compared to the other devices?

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The update didn't initially correlate to positive results on my HTC 8x. But for some reason today the app is functioning much better. The artists are showing up right away, where as before it took several minutes. And some wouldn't even show up at all until a reset.

I'm still getting the black start up screen when launching the app though. I have to back out of the app at least once but sometimes more before the screen will be anything but black.

I have not yet checked how long it now takes for changes to my online collection to be reflected on all my devices. Historically it will take multiple hours for new songs/playlists to show up on my phone after adding them with my xbox, or PC. I'll report back on that later.

• LocoKipLocoKip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just updated the app to 2.6.186.0. Amazing improvement to the usability of the app. The loading of albums and artists which used to take between 20-30 seconds to load is now almost instantaneous. Whatever you did it worked! Thanks!

I'm using 2.6.186.0. It's gotten a whole lot better and a lot more usable. Please keep improving this. While it doesn't hang and show the blank screens anymore it still takes about 4-5 seconds to move between screens. So switching artists, albums etc is still frustrating. The old native app was heaps faster and smoother.

The performance of the new update (2.6.1860) is OUTSTANDING.
        Thanks for taking this issue and tracking it down.
        This app is very usable now.
        :-)

• ajaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I still can't properly save playlists. As simple as that and this app can't even do that!! Shame on you MS.

• RajRaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I can say is performance of this sucks. Still needs a 4-5 seconds to load/resume. Wont
        show correct tags. Come on Microsoft get it together already. Shouldn't take this long to get basic functions working correctly and efficiently .

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another issue still unresolved, incorrect music volume fades. When a song first starts out, or has a pause in it, the volume will fade up when it begins playing. This is I believe something being forced by the API but not the music app, but I'm not sure. Regardless it takes away from the listening experience! When a song comes in with a strong downbeat, the volume fading I've described kills the impact that is experienced when listening with literally any other device. I can't believe nobody has noticed this and taken action. Do you guys actually use the music app?

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base