Tell us your idea!

Improve performance on Windows Phone 8 app

When I unlock the device, it keep saying resuming for 5 to 10 secondes before actually loading the app. And when I select a song, sometimes I have to wait 5 secondes before I can actually see the now playing page. It's really weird since in Windows phone 7, it didn't do that !

2,652 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kassem MezherKassem Mezher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Matt TuggleMatt Tuggle shared a merged idea: Have it work on Windows Phone!  ·   · 
    danieldaniel shared a merged idea: music wont play  ·   · 
    WadeWade shared a merged idea: Really?  ·   · 

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard TallisRichard Tallis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know what to say anymore... as a windows phone user for 4 years, my patience is running thin! This app I terrible! I could list all the faults that other people have complained about, but frankly don't have the time or inclination! This experience alone could push me to a rival platform. There is simply no excuse! I'm not sure what the reason is, but maybe when they shifted the music experience from the Zune team to a bunch of folks in France it all went pear shaped?!?!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another disappointing "update" that does zero to resolve the unusably slow music app. I can't wait for my contract to be over so I can move on.

• Lizard RumsfeldLizard Rumsfeld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another "performance update" - I think this is the 7th update for the app since the DP? And yet again, if there's any improvement it must be measured in single digit percentages. Still glacially slow comapred to the Music app on *Windows Phone 7.5 on a single-core Nokia*. I can wait 5-10 seconds just to get a list of albums for a single artist.

As well, the burst of static between tracks has _still_ not been remedied. I now get it every single time when putting a single track on repeat - track plays, restarts, loud burst of static.

Really guys. An MP3 player that still struggles to actually play MP3's. This is truly pathetic.

• Kyle Rabago-BanjoKyle Rabago-Banjo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even after the most recent update on Windows Phone 8.1, the app takes almost a minute to load albums, artists, or songs from my library whereas the old music hub from Windows Phone 8 loads them nearly instantaneously. Library indexing MUST be fixed!

Wrote two other comments below, but after today's non-update I have to say again that the situation with this app is getting beyond silly. After six updates MS cannot manage to get this app's performance even remotely close to its predecessor's...

Good MS people, we will not stay mad with you and you don't even have to apologise for this colossal blunder. Just reinstate already the WP8 music hub! There is absolutely no reason to continue beating this dead horse of an app.

• ArthurArthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even with the last update from July 18th, the app is still slow on my NL920.
        Sure scrolling is now smoother than before, but it still takes a while for the artist names to be displayed in the list, sometime some of them are missing/black for some,extra seconds. Once I click on an artist name, it sometime takes 7-10 seconds for the album names and album arts to show up, and then another few seconds for the songs to appear once I've selected an album. Please do something about the loading time/responsiveness of these lists!

Hi Everyone,
        I found a music application that works with DRM protected Xbox music files for Windows Phone. Extreme Music is a great application. I only installed it yesterday, but it works really well and is responsive, unlike the terrible Xbox music app. You can't use it to download music or use the smart DJ radio feature, but Playlists as well as downloaded songs/albums work flawlessly. Highly recommended, it's free and I have nothing to do with the creator of the app. Just a tip for other frustrated users. Once again, an independent shows a billion dollar software company how to make software on their own platform. MS, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Someone needs to get fired over there!

• faridzsfaridzs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want anything from the music app! just make it fast! It really has basic problems ! I want to shoot a bullet in my head when i simply SCROLL a simple list of my music tracks and i see the list going black before loading the names! what are doing there really? a high-school programmer can make a better music app than you! this is a shame.

and... if your updates are going the make the app worse, PLEASE dont release those nerve-racking changelogs containg the even more nerve-racking sentense: "General performance improvements."
        Can you define performance improvement?

Anyone who ever used WP (7 or 8) knows that there has always been an app loading time issue (- it was nowhere close to iOS or Android in high end devices). What made the WP platform a great choice though was that core apps loaded and worked seamlessly. Why would anyone take away the one perfectly working element from the phone is truly beyond me.... Best case scenario there is some great update down the road to fix this mess. However I have serious doubts that there will be anyone left by then

...and the frustration continues. This was clearly a failed experiment from MS's side. What makes this even worse, though, is that there is no sign of acknowledgment from MS about this poor excuse of music experience on WP. All we hear from them is "how great the ability is to update the app". Who gives a **** about updating this subpar app when the un-updatable version was by far superior? Honestly, what on earth are these people thinking??

• Marcus LiddleMarcus Liddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is so slow and so frustrating. almost the worst music experience I've had on a phone in the last 5 years. I don't understand why when the experience on my Zune HD was SO GOOD.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After July update the app is even slower on my HTC 8x. It's actually lowering my tech credentials with my friends and family because they look to me for guidance when making electronic purchases. Since they see how terrible this app is, and that I endorsed it I now look like a fool! I endorsed the phone because I thought it would have a Zune music player!

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I gave up my droid for a Windows phone 8 right when they came out. I did it because I had a Zune and loved it, and because I use my phone for music more than anything. I felt gutted when I powered up my new phone and discovered Microsoft had completely ruined the music environment. At a minimum the features of the app should work. The most frustrating thing is that my library takes minutes to show up and if I back out of the artist view then enter it again, the hole process starts again! What also is terrible is that any changes made to my collection takes hours to show up on my other devices, and vice versa. Please Microsoft just fox this ridiculously slow app!

• Larry SmithLarry Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ah, if only the delays were on the order of mere seconds. I have an extensive CD collection (over 80 GB (2000+ CDS, 22,000+ tracks) -- but only 63 GB worth on the 64 GB SD card on my Lunia 521). Sometimes I have to wait ten minutes and more! And usually with a mostly blank screen, with no real clue what's going on. And no hint as to how to make things better.

It seems to me that the app was designed (a) to support (with reasonable performance) only a couple of hundred songs, and (b) not spend storage space (for a reasonable database) on lower-end devices. But I've got a bloody 64 GB, class 10 speed SD card. Plenty of room for a decent database.

One hardware question -- does the 521 support a class 10 speed SD card at full speed? Or does the hardware throttle back the speed? Sorta like putting a USB 3 flash drive into a USB 1 port?

There's more that I could add, but that'll have to wait for another day.

• Richard TallisRichard Tallis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree with everything being said, I certainly echo Matt's comments below... using my phone for music has gone from being something I did ever day to something I rarely use! When commuting and streaming via Bluetooth it can be infuriating! My patience is nearly up and my hope is all but gone for the platform I have spent years championing to my friends on iOS & Android! I can't do that now when this core part of WP is so bad.

I wonder if MS even realises how dire and important this situation has become??

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The music experience is what brought me to Windows Phone.

The state of this app has shaken my confidence in Microsoft and the Xbox Music team to get their act together and provide a cohesive experience that iOS and now Android have. As iOS and Android have matured, you released a significantly better performing app on competitor platforms all the while you have moved backwards since WP7 to such a degree that I wonder if you truly have any idea how serious this issue is, or care about WP users vs iOS/Android.

Hell I doubt you will even read this, let alone ever take anything I am saying here to heart.

Music takes too long to launch, it takes too long to load a modest playlist of sub-150 songs (all local music), and it takes too **** long to "Resume" when the screen has been off for 15 mins, even when it's the only app open and in the foreground. On a Lumia 928, this performance is totally unacceptable. I no longer feel confident recommending WP8 to my friends when a core function is so wholly broken with no end in sight on meaningful fixes.

The latest updates have done barely anything to address the performance issues - you can cite all these 70+ bug fixes, but I really don't see them in terms of performance. Hell, I just did a reset of my phone and reloaded all my music to rebuild the database and the performance still didn't improve. Couple this with the issues this app has with my album art from purchased music- while other music apps on my phone can see everything just fine, including the old Music Hub.

The new Music app and experience may push me away from Windows Phone, and that is a **** shame. I REALLY want to stay, but so far I don't see the sincere effort on your part to want me here. It seems that you are implicitly telling me to go to another platform to get a better experience.

I'm giving you guys until my upgrade comes up again, which is around the time Windows Phone 9 (Threshold) will be talked about to get your act together.

I'm tired of hearing the excuses - just get it working.

I downloaded update 6 and still have serious performance issues. Why does the Artists list have to reload every time I try to scroll through my artists? They haven't changed!! How about adding a refresh button if I feel some newly added music is not showing up? This should be a simple text file that loads instantaneously. I seriously wonder what the software designers are thinking over at Microsoft. This is simple stuff people!!

• ArthurArthur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The last update (july 2nd) bring some nice improvements performance wise. The list of Artist still takes way too long to properly load: a lot of artist names takes several seconds to show up to top of the black background.
        So thanks for the work done so far but we're still a long way from a responsive app like "Files"

• vb gjvb gj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This app and skype really cripple WP. MS should better get its act together and soon. As much as i dislike iOS and Android, i m beginning to think that sticking with WP no longer viable option... After all the promotion i did for this phone to everyone who would listen, it's come to the point that the "official" WP8.1 launch is really the last chance i m ready to give MS before moving on

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base