Tell us your idea!

BRING BACK SWIPE GESTURE INSTEAD OF SMALL BUTTONS FOR SWITCHING SONGS

One thing I don't like about the new Xbox Music app that’s not built-in is the way you switch songs. With the built-in Xbox Music app, you swipe the picture to go to the next or previous song but with the Xbox Music app that’s not built-in, you have to press smaller buttons for next and previous. The swipe gesture makes it so much easier and convenient to switch songs while driving, running, etc. Bringing back that feature would be great, or at least an option in setting to allow it.

4,152 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    diegoarbitodiegoarbito shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JennyJenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You didn't add this. There is a pivot where you swipe up/down. That's not what this person wanted and not want any of us wanted. What we wanted was a separate now playing screen where you swipe left or right to change tracks. Till you do that, this is not complete.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't believe this is completed. What we want, is a SEPARATE Now Playing screen with left-right swipe. What we got is a pivot within the panorama with up/down swipes.

Please unmark this and get back to a separated Now Playing screen with left/right swipe to change tracks.

To be quite honest, I have completely stopped listening to music via X-Box Music because I utterly and completely detest the interface and its utter ugliness and lack of features. I removed it from my start screen. I then uninstalled it. I then moved back to 8.0 to get the hub back, which helped a little, since it has an easily discoverable music search via the search button to let me download music.

Whoever is being stubborn and continuing along this XBox Music/Video path should listen to users. We do not want this. We want a single media hub.

Do you see Apple going "Let's split iTunes into iTunes Music, iTunes Video, Podcasts, Radio, and Synch! People will love having five separate apps that one app used to do all by itself!" I don't think so. Maybe their fanboys will gush, but the majority of their users would hate it. And we all hate the split up X-Box Music, X-Box Video, Podcasts, Radio, and Synch. It was the wrong decision when it was made, and the wrong decision now.

• offbeatbopoffbeatbop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the direction is unintuitive at all. As long as it fits in with the flow of the application it's fine. That flow has changed. Right and left swiping bring you to different sections of the application which I think s better than having to use the hardware back button to leave the now playing screen.

The only other thing that could be done to improve the flow of the app would be to change the orientation of the previous and next buttons. Either changing them to arrows that point up and down or changing their position on the screen(or both).

• ChristophChristoph commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I really appreciate how quickly MSFT is reacting to user feedback, I think the solution is still inferior:

First, the swiping direction is unintuitive, because it is not the one we have learned. And it is different from other parts of the system. I was really happy when IE on WP got the swipe gesture from WinRT. I was really annoyed that this was missing after using my tablet for only a few days. And I was even more annoyed that it was removed from the music app. The new swipe gesture should not be different. Swipe down is for closing on WinRT and finally on WP, too.

Second, the UI is now even less beautiful. It is terribly crowded, I would even call it ugly. That is not how WP usually looks like. Furthermore, moving the currently played title to the top again brakes what we have learned: the title is below the cover. Putting the next title below is even more strange (although hinting and the swipe gesture), because now you have the "wrong title" there. I think the semi-transparent list of the next two titles below the current was easier to get and looked better.

I really hope that you continue working on the UI and interaction design and bring it in line with the rest of the OS.

• CharlieCharlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look MS guys, looking at all these suggestions and ideas from people, one question pops in my head:

Why didn't you just updated the existing music hub and renamed it Xbox Music instead of making another one that is clearly inferior and forces you people to add all the stuff the previous one already had?

I HATE IT! MOST USERS HATE IT! It looks horrible, lacks a lot of functionality, and feels like the 0.0.0.5 beta of the previous Music Hub!

I really don't understand you people, sometimes you make wonderful things, others you just erase and remake and F everything up.

• Scott BerfieldScott Berfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In general, I think it a pretty bad idea to reduce functionality with a new release. Yet that seems to be the theory behind the 8.1 player. Pretty sad. Every new device since Zune has been less capable than the last one.

• ArckinsArckins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Current Xbox Music app (even on WP8) got a different Now Playing screen which is also a home screen. For me the dedicated Now Playing screen is way superior and allows better presentation of information and gestures. Music+Videos app are almost perfect, predictable and easy to use. Also dedicated Now Playing screen would introduce new gestures, maybe like by swiping up to show now playing list, and swiping down to show current artist information or other possible stuff.

I hope Xbox Music team would rethink the design and implement it sooner, before the WP8.1 officially release to the public. :(

• SakshamSaksham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, i have a nice design for that.
        How about swiping UP AND DOWN to change tracks ? It would be SO UNIQUE AND NEW ! And it would be great too, would also allow you to keep the nowplaying on the main screen as the left right swipes would be OPEN.
        THINK ABOUT THIS PLEASE !

• keifwokikeifwoki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Check out an app called "in reach" it too is far from perfect but I found it fills the swipe/gesture gap while we wait for the Xbox music app to do anything useful....

• ss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While you're on those designs, please also consider the needless and disastrous confusion you create with the simple word "radio." In the prior music app, radio meant using the FM radio chip to get, you know, radio. Now, you mean it to designate your smart-DJ or whatever. This is confusing and, frankly, an amusingly horrible own goal. You cannot subvert the word "radio" to mean your software playlist algos. Radio is what it is. Call it mixRadio, xBoxRadio, something, anything other than create confustion between the legitimate radio included on many phones and your playlistBots.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rebecca,

For the interface, please just restore the Music+Video Hub. That's it. That's all you need to do.

The only real changes to that that I would suggest, and I'm sure many here would agree to:
        -audiobook support via genre tag ('audiobook'); sub-genre tag to categorize them (science-fiction, drama, history, etc.); built-in to M+V
        -podcast support via genre tag ('podcast') and built in to M+V
        -FM Radio built-in to M+V
        -Now Playing on its own page as in M+V, with the former interface.
        -main menu like M+V: music, video, fm radio, audiobooks, smart DJ, store, social, podcasts
        -app bar for settings, graphic equalizer
        -pivots as in M+V: collection, recent, new, picks (based on what you've been listening to), apps

If you put this back as opposed to the separate apps, and put Zune back as the synch/purchase app, you will make millions happy.

• Timothy HuberTimothy Huber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've used Cortana to change tracks with a "next track" command. That was pretty cool. I can see why people might like the swipe, though.

• stm91stm91 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make it an up and down swipe and show the previous and the next song on top and below the current one with the cover.

• JacquesJacques commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It all depends on the use cases. When I'm in the car, I would indeed prefer the swipe.
        But when I'm at home, I often find myself exploring my music collection while listening to music. At that moment, I often inadvertently swipe to the next song while searching from other music to add to the playlist.

The solution might be to fix / lock the player while browsing music and bring back the swipe when in "listening" mode.

• r471r471 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remove the next and previous button from the now playing screen of the music player as you did in the new Xbox video app and put the play/pause button on the album art of the song, that way you can save plenty of space so that full name of the album and artists could be viewed on the now playing screen and implement swiping to change tracks.
        Also I like the new green and black look of the music player

• avav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Option would be better. I don't prefer to swipe to change tracks all the time

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base