Tell us your idea!

Gapless playback

Currently, there's a sub-second gap that pretty much ruins the listening experience of albums that are non-stop mixes (example: In Search of Sunrise 11 - Las Vegas). There are other instances of songs that continue into the next track.

Many music players (hardware and software) have been able to do this for a long time now. Gapless playback needs to be a part of the WP8.1 Music app.

4,455 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marc VertidoMarc Vertido shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Gapless playback is sorely missing  ·   · 
    under review  ·  RebeccaRebecca responded  · 

Great suggestion! We realize many of you are passionate about gapless playback and we are working on it. There is currently no ETA but keep checking back for status.

131 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Christ bhobg, thanks for the suggestions, but getting a ******* Android phone would actually be the easier solution. With every day that MS takes to fix this lack of basic functionality, it's looking more and more likely that's the path I'll go down.

• bhobgbhobg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, as of Tuesday's update, the Spotify app handles gapless content correctly. (You need a Premium account, though - the "free streaming" option (which is free, obvs), only plays in "Shuffle" mode, which makes gapless playback irrelevant, unless you happen to randomly get two consecutive gapless tracks shuffled next to each other.)

As far as I know, there are two apps in the Store that provide gapless playback (and several others that claim to, but don't). The biggest obstacle seems to be that if you use the built-in song-playing APIs, you just plain CAN'T make gapless happen; but if you DON'T use the built-in song-playing APIs, you can't access the Music library, plus other restrictions. The two apps get around these problems very differently.

Subsonic Music Streamer (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/subsonic-music-streamer/2eb445a5-ca04-e011-9264-00237de2db9e) streams music from a server that you own and configure. This is a good solution if you have a large collection of already-digitized music, and an internet-connected computer that you're not using for anything else, and either an unlimited data plan or good access to Wi-Fi, and if the thought of configuring a server doesn't scare you or make your eyes glaze over. The phone app, which looks pretty good, costs $3.99 - the server software is free.

The other is Flac Player SD (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/flac-player-sd/c812a2b0-ea8d-4819-9ed3-b35040c08b67). As its name suggests, it plays FLAC files (Free Lossless Audio Compression) from an SD card, so if you don't have an SD card, you're out of luck. It will also play MP3 files from your SD card, but (this is one of those "restrictions" mentioned above) you have to rename them manually to a different extension, such as "MPEG3." Its UI is pretty basic, and it doesn't have a lot of functionality (though it does have a graphic equalizer that works) - but it plays things the way they're supposed to be played, even without an internet connection, and that's a pretty big win if you ask me. FLAC Player SD is free.

Might be worth checking out, just to pass the time until MS implements gapless, which really should be Any Day Now, riiiiight?

Who am I to define what is the most important thing of a music app? Gee, I don't know, maybe playing a ******* album from the 70s as seamlessly as the original LP it was recorded on for example? It's a bit more basic than managing your ID3 tags (which, by the way, you at least HAVE an option to do manually in the meantime).
        Basic features logically should take precedent. If a $2 MP3 player from the gas station can do something that your $300 phone cannot do, THEN THERE IS A PROBLEM.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To the poster below me: Who do you think you are that you can define what is the most important thing of a music app? Did you ever think about the fact, that there might be people having other priorities? For me: I would love to have gapless playback, sure. But much more important for me would be the ability to change the (horrible) default ID3 tags coming from the Xbox Music store, without losing the synchronization of the modified songs to the store.
        So keep in mind: Gapless playback might be the most important thing for YOU, but other people might have different priorities!

To the poster below me,
        Anyone dumb enough to ignore the fact that MS has said that they've been working on it for YEARS now doesn't deserve to even post in these forums.
        As far as a music app is concerned, it should be the top 5 features. This isn't even debatable if you want an app that can rival AT LEAST a $2 MP3 player from the gas station.

Anyone dumb enough to dump a platform over gapless playback isn't someone Microsoft is going to be too concerned with losing.

They acknowledged they're working on it, they only have so many finite resources and boatloads of other issues to address. Including an app that has more bugs than can be noted.

• BONESBONES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think many of us would say that listening to classical music at all is pretty terrible. (Sorry, you left it wide open and I just couldn't resist.) Seriously, though, I think the number of people listening to classical music on their mobile phone would be vanishingly small and on Windows Phone it would be even tinier. In fact, it's not something I would have thought any classical music person would do at all.

Listening to classical music without gapless playback is pretty terrible.

• BONESBONES commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of all the problems I have with X Box Music, I have to say gapless playback isn't one of them. I think it would only be an issue for me with maybe one song in a hundred but I suppose it is one of those things that once you notice it, it would annoy you thereafter. I've not noticed it yet.

I've set a deadline for MS - October.
        If their useless, backwards platform cannot achieve something as bafflingly basic as gapless playback by then, I'm selling my phone. I will never touch a Windows Phone again, and I'll do my best to encourage others to do the same.

Hey Rebecca, are you reading this? OCTOBER.

I urge everyone else here who feel as frustrated about this lack of BASIC FUNCTION on a modern OS to do the same - ditch your phones in October if MS don't listen. IT'S BEEN 5 YEARS NOW. SEND THEM A MESSAGE FFS.

• ozze232ozze232 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another great feature would be the ability to insert a song to "Play Next". I'll often be listening to a song which reminds me of something i really want to hear next, but the only way to do it is to disrupt the whole playlist and play the song individually. It would be great if there was a way to just insert the song into the playlist to play after the current song. Please vote for it here.

http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forums/209733-xbox-music-suggestion-box/suggestions/5956079--play-next-to-now-playing-while-preserving-the-q

• SKSK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every passing day without hearing news on Microsoft working on gapless playback increases my hatred for Microsoft's inefficiency.

• NoelNoel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please! Always hated that... we don't want to live with it - we want it fixed. And I mean that in the most motivating way as possible. Thanks in advance!!! 3 Votes!!!

• Matthew OglesbyMatthew Oglesby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People saying this has been under review for three months, etc.

It's been a missing standard feature for four years now. I hardly think a few extra months is going to make much difference.

• SKSK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My money's on the next update NOT having gapless playback, despite Belfiore's tweet. Because I think if gapless playback is coming, Joe would tweet it without hesitation.

@Andrew Lawrence - that's a LOT to read into Belfiore's tweet - all he says is that the next update will include "... perf, fixes, and features!"

Hope I'm wrong, but I know which way I'd bet, were I a betting man.

• Dominic Motto JrDominic Motto Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its been YEARS now and still no gapless playback when other media players and their software are now gapless. You want to be the best xbox then be the best and get TRUE GAPLESS PLAYBACK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base