Tell us your idea!

Gapless playback

Currently, there's a sub-second gap that pretty much ruins the listening experience of albums that are non-stop mixes (example: In Search of Sunrise 11 - Las Vegas). There are other instances of songs that continue into the next track.

Many music players (hardware and software) have been able to do this for a long time now. Gapless playback needs to be a part of the WP8.1 Music app.

3,427 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Marc VertidoMarc Vertido shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  RebeccaRebecca responded  · 

Great suggestion! We realize many of you are passionate about gapless playback and we are working on it. There is currently no ETA but keep checking back for status.

78 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • bhobgbhobg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Andrew Lawrence - that's a LOT to read into Belfiore's tweet - all he says is that the next update will include "... perf, fixes, and features!"

Hope I'm wrong, but I know which way I'd bet, were I a betting man.

• Dominic Motto JrDominic Motto Jr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its been YEARS now and still no gapless playback when other media players and their software are now gapless. You want to be the best xbox then be the best and get TRUE GAPLESS PLAYBACK NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• SKSK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'Keep checking back for status'? Done. Now would you do your part?

If there's any complications, we believe we deserve transparency from Microsoft.

• eric snydereric snyder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So here's an interesting one. Gapless playback is actually a patent ... A Microsoft patent!
        I suspect that an underpinning that makes this possible it's missing from either WP 8 or even 8.1... :(

• CGCG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So this very basic but very compulsory feature is still under review after 3 months??? The Xbox music team is truly an embarrassment. We do not deserve this.

• MegamaNMegamaN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes Will, they will work on it. Even that scrolling on the seek-bar was placed under vote for a long time, but they managed to do it.
        No idea what is making them delay this, or not have done this before, but they have their reasons, no doubt.

• Will DavisWill Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gapless playback has been 'UNDER REVIEW' for 3 months now and we still don't have it, despite numerous updates.

From a development standpoint, is it really THAT hard to implement?

We should all do what stim did. It's about time Microsoft gets punished.

Let's make iPods relevant again.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No ETA but they're working on it. How many things are the Microsoft engineers trying to build from the ground up? Gapless playback has been around for the cheapest mp3 players for well over a decade! Total music app fail.

• stimstim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've given up now, bought an iPod 160GB (reluctantly) - is very good though, at what it does.

• Shane IlerShane Iler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It appears that the WP 8.1 xbox Music app still doesn't have gapless playback when playing music from the xbox music subscription. This is pretty embarrassing, not to mention frustrating.

• Nathan TimpanoNathan Timpano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good luck busting out your vinyls when going for a 7 mile run, or catching the train, or on a trans-pacific flight.

• Andrew LawrenceAndrew Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its completely off topic here anyway. It would be cool if Xbox Music got a little more hardcore features like that to appeal to hardcore music fans (I'm one of them) but that's trivial at this point. Just another reason to bust out the vinyls right? :P

• Nathan TimpanoNathan Timpano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SK, there is a play/pause button for a reason.
        Gapless playback guarantees that tracks that are meant to be played seamlessly do so, and those that are recorded with gaps (such as the transition between one disc and another) have their gaps preserved. I trust that you're smart enough to know that a long gap indicates a change in disc.
        On the topic of 'blasphemy', you realise that the beatles didn't originally release their album on CD anyway, right? IT'S ALREADY BEEN CHANGED. Let go of your antiquated formats and learn to adapt to a digital world already. Your listening experience will not be damaged in any way whatsoever if you add numbers to the start of your file names. It doesn't require removing any information.

Nathan, to take any Beatles album and edit its metadata (to become incorrect) so that they can appear in a single list is absolute blasphemy to me. I like to stay true to the original intention.

If the album is MEANT to be listened to in two parts, I want to KNOW what are the two parts, and I want to LISTEN to them in two parts.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just recently started ripping my CD collection to play on my Nokia Lumia phone. Yes, listening to albums with continuous mixes can be jarring with the slight delay between tracks :( Please fix this. Thanks.

• Andrew LawrenceAndrew Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a lot of technical challenges with gapless playback. It's not just clicking GAPLESS: ON. I think this will be coming up soon though. At least I hope so. It is weird it wasn't the first challenge tackled but they have started stuff over a lot.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base