Tell us your idea!

Show song info on Live Tile

Show now playing song on Live Tile, like Nokia MixRadio and while not playing, shuffle between last played album covers like the People tile or the old nokia music app.

3,428 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Gleisson Alves Mendes da GraçaGleisson Alves Mendes da Graça shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    LukeLuke shared a merged idea: Bring back that gorgeous live tile!!  ·   · 
    RickRick shared a merged idea: Better live tile  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Have the Xbox Music tile on WP8 display last artist played like WP7  ·   · 

34 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James LJames L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How in the world did you forget this? Seriously. This was in Windows Phone 7 how many years ago? This is whose major selling point for their phones? Microsoft's.

Please understand that the software you call X-Box Music is now essentially synonymous with buggy, slow, laggy, cumbersome, feature-poor software that can't hold a candle to iTunes in a competition head-to-head. The Zune HD, and the Zune software ran head to head, and came out ahead with things like Social, Channels, Picks, Smart DJ, but fell apart in things like audiobook support, which doesn't appear that hard - just allow the genre tag to determine if a file is treated like an audiobook.

Back to point, though - how in the world did you ever think that releasing this app in such a state was a good idea? And who thought splitting Zune into 5 apps was a good idea? Do you ever think Apple would split iTunes into 5 apps? No. Why? Because NO ONE WANTS 5 APPS, especially when ONE will do.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm very happy for the heads up Ellen. I'm certainly curious why this feature was removed from the Xbox music app, given that it existed in the very first release with Win Phone 8. The same is true for the lock screen. If the code existed previously why has it been such an ordeal to include it with the subsequent versions.

• James LJames L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you say this is completed, please remember what people are asking for:

-A live tile that looks and behaves like the Live Tile on Windows Phone 7 for the Zune Hub while playing. Please remember to find a WP7 device, and play music on it, so that you can verify that the functionality is identical
        -A live tile that keeps the last played artist image with a semi-transparent overlay of the Zune/XBM logo when playback is stopped/paused. Again, please check with a WP7 device to verify you have actually copied the functionality exactly.

If you want to go above and beyond:
        -playback controls within the live tile (interactive live tiles)
        -Zune screensaver (see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyMAgd14_-w)
        -swipe left/right within the volume controls to change tracks, with a mini-album cover. Just the play/rew/ff buttons is a bit dull.

• StevenSteven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this under review, could I just suggest this be optional? It's clear that it's hugely popular and really belongs considering it was part of older Xbox Music versions, but I honestly prefer the static tile. Again bringing this feature back would be a nice thing to do for everyone that seriously misses it, but I would greatly prefer if we had the option to set this as a live tile. In fact there are a lot of suggestions on this website that the existing Xbox Music settings page has more than enough room for.

• VJVJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same should be done for background of the app. It should show album art if artist info not available. Plain brown looks so boring... Take a cue from nokia mix

• Sascha HoppeSascha Hoppe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

when did you stare at your live tile while listening to music? I liked the old way, where the tile showed the last played music when not listening. This is what i want back instead of static tile when not playing. Make the tile even more "live" by showing a collage of last played albums.

• Andrew MoroneyAndrew Moroney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome idea. I like that when I'm not listening to music "Mixradio" shows various album covers on the live tile. If I were to make the suggestion I would say to have the Live Tile for Music work exactly as the one for Mixradio

• ArckinsArckins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes!!! This should comeback! :D

The last artist played WP7 with WP8 live tile animation would be a killer feature for Xbox Music. It serve well giving cool looking information of what is currently playing and spicing up our Start Screen. Currently its just a plain boring green tile that doesn't mean anything, thus many users only use 1x1 tile size because of that.
        The LIVE tile also serve as good marketing for Windows Phone and Xbox as a whole, no other platform does this kind of unique aesthetic as WP7 and WP8.

I think it would be also a good addition to cycle some artist+albums currently on collection in Live Tile when not playing something. Similar to Photos and even other 3rd-party does this. Also it would be better to have song name+artist name and album name on live tile animation, than what we used to have info from WP8, which is just a artist name if I remember correctly.
        When there's no artist photos available on currently playing track, then make use the album art which almost all properly tag music have one. Take a look from Nokia MixRadio, it's kind of static but manage to look very good even it just shows artist and song name+artist name information, also they manage to show all the recently played albums with Zune-ish styling.

We used to have it on WP7 then WP8, so I hope reuse those, combine and just improved it.
        Hope that surprise us with better ones soon. Cheers! :D

• mlekas@live.commlekas@live.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The big differentiator of Windows Phone is the live tile. Key apps like Music, Videos etc. should all take advantage of this. I am not sure which implementation I prefer, either this one (Song info) or the Last Artist (see http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forums/209733-xbox-music-suggestion-box/suggestions/5178588-have-the-xbox-music-tile-on-wp8-display-last-artis), so I voted for both.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about making the tile not so ugly and green? It's a system app, why is there so much Xbox branding? Maybe tone it down it bit.

• heironymous heironymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the Live Tile display the last artist played, and the picture remaining even after you had stopped playing your music was a unique feature of the initial WP7 Live Tiles. I just don't see why this feature was diminished in WP8?

If this is a rights management issue then tell us. Otherwise diminishing this feature just to display the 'Headphones on Green' tile is rather poor, and an overt step backwards from the beautiful modern look already achieved with the advent of WP7.

Please bring back this beautiful feature.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base