Tell us your idea!

METADATA AND ID3 TAGS FIX?!

First of all, the main problem people are encountering:

The metadata (album art, artist name, album, etc.) is constantly being changed by Xbox Music! I've already deleted my music collection 3 times, to no avail. Fix this so that Xbox Music DOES NOT TOUCH any existing song data. You did it before, why is the problem reappearing?

Secondly, the artist picture. We should be able to choose our own artist image, as the pictures selected by Xbox are consistently low-resolution. When I was using the Music+Videos Hub, there was an app that allowed personal addition of artist images. This should be in-built so the lock-screen doesn't look like a very pixelated Chris Martin!

I hope you take all these ideas into consideration. Quite a large number of people are starting to switch to Android and iOS due to their functionality.

1,789 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rahul NambiarRahul Nambiar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Ellen KilbourneAdminEllen Kilbourne (Admin, Xbox Music) responded  · 

We hear you loud and clear. Thanks for all the great feedback and your continued support. I’ll give you a heads up through the site when this feature is on the horizon.

76 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew MacaulayAndrew Macaulay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really really important and needs to be fixed urgently - I have recently manually made sure the tags on my local files on the phone were all present, but Xbox Music on Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 lists the majority of them by their filename! and messes up with my collection as well.

• Anthony SchettlerAnthony Schettler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The experience with music tags is inconsistent between the Xbox Music apps on Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1. I've got the same songs on the same account on both my Surface Pro 3 and my AT&T Lumia 1520, yet many of my songs do not sync properly through the service. My entire collection is perfect on my Surface, yet several of the songs on my Lumia are screwed up and many of the tracks show as unavailable.

• Dave BianceDave Biance commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xbox Music app is incredible wrong made! I have all tags made right (I'm VERY careful with this), I have music compilations with Album Art made by me. Recently, I have to delete all albums in Music app, because I had no way to reset the app, to stop remember wrong album covers, and after doing that, I sync all albums again, only to find that nothing's changed: Xbox Music KEEPS remembering the same all wrong album covers! it's a shame!... I have to buy 2 excellent app, like 'Music Pro' and 'OneMusic' to solve this problem. BOTH APPs WORK JUST FINE WITH ALL tags and ART COVER IN PLACE!. Both apps are fast, and work like a charm!! How can be possible that Xbox Music app still don't work: it's inacceptable!

• Herman de VriesHerman de Vries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The database is a shamble! For instance I've got an artist called "Ester Brinkmann" but for some unknown reason to me it is transformed in Xbox Music into "Melanie C" Quite hilarious if that was the only fault but there are many instances. Also alphabetically ordering: I prefer soloartists under their last name, not first name. The possibility to skip determiners in different languages: De, le, la, Der etcetera

• Fredrick WilliamsFredrick Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is really starting to impress me with their new feedback/suggestion system. They're listening to the users and appear to be using our feedback to drive their application updates. I like it, I like it a lot.

• ajaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS WAKE THE **** UP. XBM ON WINDOWS 8 MESSED UP TAGS ON MY LIBRARY. I WANT TO MANUALLY EDIT AND CHOOSE HOW TO CORRECT THEM. FIRST,, GIVE US THE OPTION TO CHANGE METADATA IN WP LIKW IN WIN 8. NEXT, GIVE US THE ABILITY TO EDIT THEM MANUALLY, CHOOSE ALBUM ART FROM OUR OWN COLLECTION NOT FROM PRESETS.

• ajaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS WAKE THE **** UP. XBM ON WINDOWS 8 MESSED UP TAGS ON MY LIBRARY. I WANT TO MANUALLY EDIT AND CHOOSE HOW TO CORRECT THEM. FIRST,, GIVE US THE OPTION TO CHANGE METADATA IN WP LIKW IN WIN 8. NEXT, GIVE US THE ABILITY TO EDIT THEM MANUALLY, CHOOSE ALBUM ART FROM OUR OWN COLLECTION NOT FROM PRESETS.

• Luis Carlos DiazLuis Carlos Diaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Album art issues are a big let down. The album art shows on my computer as well as the correct name and track list but then it does not transfer well to the phone. Albums that I buy on Amazon usually have no issues but albums that I own and "burn" on my computer seem to be the ones with issues. There's even an app on Windows Phone 8 that let's you change the album art but it does not seem to work on 8.1

• Morten OstergaardMorten Ostergaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. I have spend endless time cleaning up and tuning my ID3 tags for my music collection and edited e.g. the genres of my music to make it easier to make playlists. Please don't try to be smart about this - just leave it alone. The great Zune desktop app didn't touch this. And also, give me tools to edit the tags - like I could with Zune desktop.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this like the only top idea without a "under review" tag? :(
        This is the one I'm most passionate about. My music experience is soooo important with my overall phone experience.

• Simon MattesSimon Mattes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The worst part: my music collection is very tidy; album arts and ID3 tags completely filled.
        On Xbox Music I constantly get "art missing" since it does not appear to respect the embedded picture but rather tries to download a picture from the Xbox music service.

Often it also "corrects" almost all data; for instance I have a song which apparently does not exist on the Xbox music servers. The players (both on Windows 8.1 and WP) then change EVERYTHING except the title:
        - The artist is changed
        - The album is changed
        - The genre is changed

Only the title of my song and the "mapped" songs match...
        Please fix this an respect the user tags (maybe add a setting "do not modify my data")

• StevenSteven commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I joined User Voice to vote for this feature. Xbox Music is definitely getting better but the fact that it still doesn't give us the option to not manipulate our tags is terrible. I've been disabling "retrieve song information" options in media players for years because I tag my music meticulously and it drives me crazy when Xbox Music picks when it wants to use "Of" instead "of," instead of understanding I was already sorting it as "of" in the first place. I also can't stand when for example bands like "A Perfect Circle" are filed under the letter P instead of the letter A. I've tried so many times to quit Xbox Music and adopt other music apps, but they all have so many ups and downs that I keep coming back defeated.

Please guys, just allow Xbox Music to finally obey ID3 sorting.

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. If there's no match, then take the artist picture and metadata from the track itself if present. NEVER change it without consent. Who would think that's a good idea?

why can't it accept the artist/album/track etc info I added using iTunes?
        Fortunately I can add music to my Lumia phone using iTunes, the phone app lets me choose this, but why can't xbox music accept that I've created my own compilation albums? And furthermore, why the **** can't I create a playlist ON MY PHONE??!!! I could do it on my 5800 and my N8....
        Really annoying to have to do it ON THE PC, ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.
        For heaven's sake, everything else on it is more advanced so how come this is so backward?????

Be sure you really have album arts in ID3 tag and not only as image in the same folder.
        In windows PC, check them in a tool like MP3Tag. Be sure there is album art in every single song and also that there is only one album art in ID3 tag and ID3 is in some actual version. http://i60.tinypic.com/2m5e9n5.png

Noted that album art is also missing in Nokia mix radio and mirrors Xbox music even though mix radio does have background images presumably via the internet.

So maybe eben though we can view album art on a PC its not a given that it will appear on wp8.1 xbm....

My Nokia 520 still doesn't work with the new update. Seems like it works for some but not others - so what's the defining factor?

Are some of us not doing something correct? For instance I can we my album art on my PC in windows explorer with my Nokia attached via USB so I'm sure the artwork is there. I can see some images on phone but most I can't.

If there's an image though it will also display in most cases the background image and bio.

Since this topic is about existing album arts being changed by xbox music service and this issue has been fixed indeed, I would not say that is "notching fixed" as Oleksandr do. Read the description firtst then try to argue. This issue is fixed.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base